2.6 CLAIMS FOR COMPENSATION IN THE MOTOR ACCIDENT CASES
(A) APPROACH TO MOTOR ACCIDENTS CLAIMS TRIBUNALS
In all cases of road accidents, Motor Accidents Claims Tribunal can be approached for the purpose of adjudicating upon claims for compensation in respect of accidents involved the death of, or bodily injury to, persons arising out of motor vehicles or damage to any property of a third party so arising or both.
- The Tribunal can be approached by
- The person who has sustained the injury; or
- The owner of the property; or
- Where death has resulted from the accident, by all or any of the legal representative of the deceased; or
- Any agent duly authorized by the person injured, all or any of the legal representatives of the deceased as the case may be. Application for the claim can be made either to the claims Tribunal having jurisdiction over the area in which the accident occurred or to the claim Tribunal within the local limits where the claimant or defendant resides. The Claims Tribunal has all the powers of a Civil Court.
(B) PROVISIONS UNDER THE MOTOR VEHICLES ACT, 1988